This soup is perfect for a group after an autumn outing. The combination of squash, applesauce and spices gives it an appealing flavor.
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Harvest Squash Soup in Country August/September 1997, p49
Reviews for Harvest Squash Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review