To me, cooking is an art, and I love trying new recipes. This one dresses up baked butternut squash, sweet potatoes and apples with citrus and spices.
- 6 cups water
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 small apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add squash and return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain. Place squash and sweet potatoes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine the honey, orange juice, butter, orange peel, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour over squash and potatoes.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover; stir in apples. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Harvest Squash Medley in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2007, p45
Reviews for Harvest Squash Medley
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review