- 1 large butternut squash (about 6 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place squash in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 15-20 minutes or just until tender. Drain. In a large bowl, mash squash and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add to squash. Stir in eggs, sugar, salt and pepper. Gently fold in cranberries and pecans. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- For topping, combine bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over top. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Harvest Squash Casserole in Healthy Cooking October/November 2012, p42
Reviews for Harvest Squash Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 20, 2012
"this was a big hit a jewelry party I had recently. I am making again for Thanksgiving"