Harvest Squash Casserole Recipe
This is a healthy recipe flavored with autumn cranberries and pecans. It goes very well with a roasted turkey and makes a colorful side dish. —Mary Ann Lee, Clifton Park, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1 large butternut squash (about 6 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Place squash in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 15-20 minutes or just until tender. Drain. In a large bowl, mash squash and set aside.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add to squash. Stir in eggs, sugar, salt and pepper. Gently fold in cranberries and pecans. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. For topping, combine bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over top. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup equals 273 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 593 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC