This tasty treat was my first successful attempt at baking light. The ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg give it a familiar spice cake flavor...and raisins and shredded carrots help keep it moist. —Hilary Carroll of Dearborn, Michigan
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Combine the eggs, applesauce and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the carrots and raisins (batter will be thick).
- Spread evenly in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Harvest Snack Cake in Light & Tasty October/November 2001, p37
Reviews for Harvest Snack Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review