Harvest Snack Cake Recipe
This tasty treat was my first successful attempt at baking light. The ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg give it a familiar spice cake flavor...and raisins and shredded carrots help keep it moist. —Hilary Carroll of Dearborn, Michigan
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Combine the eggs, applesauce and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the carrots and raisins (batter will be thick).
- 2. Spread evenly in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece equals 170 calories, 1 g fat (0.55 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 191 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC