Harvest Snack Cake
This tasty treat was my first successful attempt at baking light. The ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg give it a familiar spice cake flavor...and raisins and shredded carrots help keep it moist. Hilary Carroll of Dearborn, Michigan
15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda,
- cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Combine the eggs, applesauce and
- vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the
- carrots and raisins (batter will be thick).
- Spread evenly in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking
- spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Yield: 15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 170 calories, 1 g fat (0.55 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 191 mg sodium,