Harvest Salad with Cherry Vinaigrette Recipe
- 3 medium fresh beets (about 1 pound)
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 2 medium apples, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup yellow grape tomatoes or pear tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 4 thick-sliced bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- CHERRY VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/2 cup tart cherry preserves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake 50-60 minutes or until tender. Remove foil; cool completely. Peel beets and cut into 1/2-in. pieces.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine salad greens, apples, carrot, tomatoes, beans, walnuts, bacon and cooled beets. In a small bowl, whisk vinaigrette ingredients until blended. Serve with salad. Yield: 10 servings (1 cup each).
1 cup salad with about 1 tablespoon vinaigrette equals 181 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 221 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.