Harvest Roll-Ups Recipe
My mother worked as a waitress, and this entree was a favorite of many of her customers. She made it for our family, too, and we all enjoyed it.
- 6 bacon strips
- 1 beef top round steak (2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel to drain; discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 2. Cut the steak into six pieces and pound to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place 1/3 to 1/2 cup sauerkraut and a bacon slice on each piece of meat. Roll up; secure with a short skewer or toothpicks.
- 3. Brown roll-ups in drippings. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until meat is tender. Remove roll-ups; keep warm. combine flour and water to form a smooth paste.
- 4. Bring cooking liquid to a boil; add flour mixture, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. remove skewers or toothpicks from roll-ups; serve with gravy over noodles if desired. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 353 calories, 19 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 1,369 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 39 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC