- 6 bacon strips
- 1 beef top round steak (2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel to drain; discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Cut the steak into six pieces and pound to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place 1/3 to 1/2 cup sauerkraut and a bacon slice on each piece of meat. Roll up; secure with a short skewer or toothpicks.
- Brown roll-ups in drippings. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until meat is tender. Remove roll-ups; keep warm. combine flour and water to form a smooth paste.
- Bring cooking liquid to a boil; add flour mixture, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. remove skewers or toothpicks from roll-ups; serve with gravy over noodles if desired. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Harvest Roll-Ups
"Wow these were great! Definitely will make again. My mom used to make something similar..yum!"
"I just made this dish for supper. Talk about a winner. Everyone has already asked for it again. Even my 5 year old gave it a thumbs up. The only substitutions I made were using New York strip steak instead of round steak and mashed potatoes instead of noodles. I can't wait to try it with the noodles!"