Harvest Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups chopped peeled pears
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute shallots and celery in butter until tender.
- 2. Stir in the pumpkin, pears, broth, wine, water, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until pears are tender. Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in syrup; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 156 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 472 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.