Harvest Pumpkin Soup Recipe
A drizzle of maple syrup is the crowning touch to this thick and creamy soup. You can also substitute 4 cups mashed butternut squash for the fresh pumpkin. Lesley Pew, Lynn, Massachusetts
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups chopped peeled pears
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- In a large saucepan, saute shallots and celery in butter until tender.
- Stir in the pumpkin, pears, broth, wine, water, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until pears are tender. Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in syrup; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Harvest Pumpkin Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p39
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Harvest Pumpkin Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review