Harvest Pumpkin Pie with Almond Crust Recipe
I use fresh pumpkin when I make my pumpkin pie, but it’s good with the canned variety, too. The buttery almond crust lends an extra-special touch to holiday dinners.
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups fresh or canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a food processor, process almonds until ground. Add the flours and salt; cover and pulse to blend. Add butter; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. While processing, gradually add water until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, milk and honey. Combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and spices. Add to egg mixture just until blended. Pour into crust.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350° and bake for 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Harvest Pumpkin Pie with Almond Crust in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p134
Reviews for Harvest Pumpkin Pie with Almond Crust(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Pie Crust >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pie Baking >
- Pie Crust Recipes >
- Pie Crust Recipes with Butter >
- Pie Recipes >
- Pumpkin Desserts >