- warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Divide
- into fourths; cut each portion into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into
- a 9-in. rope. Place two ropes end to end on a greased baking sheet
- (dough will temporarily extend over sides of pan). Place 10 ropes
- side by side vertically over the 9-in. ropes. Bring ends of the two
- horizontal ropes together over the "bundle" of ropes and tie in the
- center. Curve top half of ropes outward from the center. Repeat with
- the remaining dough. Brush with milk; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray. Let rise until
- nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Uncover. With a sharp knife or
- kitchen shears, cut diagonal slits in rope tops to look like wheat.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with
- butter if desired. Yield: 4 loaves.
Editor's Note: For breadsticks, place ropes 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Recipe makes 4 dozen.