- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 boneless fully cooked ham steak (1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- In a large skillet, saute onion and pepper in butter until crisp-tender. Remove from pan and set aside. Cut ham steak into four pieces. In the same skillet, brown ham on both sides.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cornstarch and apple juice until smooth; pour over ham. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Reduce heat; spread apple butter over ham. Top with onion. Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Harvest Ham Steak
"This is a family favorite! Wonderful flavor and very simple to make. My husband thought it would be a good "company's coming" recipe. And the Nutty Broccoli recipe that's recommended to go with it is a nice complement!"
"This is such a quick and easy recipe to make. However, the onions are not the best thing to put with this. Having a piece with no onion was heavenly and it took away the flavor of the rest. Before putting the ham in the pan, I did pat both sides with brown sugar and instead of apple juice I used apple cider because it brings out more flavor than juice. It turned out fabulous otherwise and I will be making this again."
"I used my own home canned apple butter for this. This is easy and good. Next time I will try olive oil or part olive oil to replace all or part of the butter."
"This has become one of my family favorites."
"Yummy! A combination of ingredients that you wouldn't expect to taste so good."
"My whole family LOVED this is was very easy to make and superyummy! I was SO glad I doubled it though, it would not have been enough for us otherwise."
"I didn't care for the onions, but otherwise it was simple and sweet."