Harvest Fruit Bread
"My sister is raising two little girls but always makes time to bake homemade bread," writes Sandy Vias, San Leandro, California. "They like this loaf best. It's studded with fruit and nuts, and terrific toasted and spread with butter.
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash allspice
- 3-3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup dried fruit (dried cherries, cranberries and/or raisins)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- In bread machine pan, place the first nine ingredients in order
- suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust
- color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine
- directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2
- tablespoons water or flour if needed). Just before final kneading
- (your machine may audibly signal this), add fruit and pecans.
- Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Nutritional Facts: One slice equals 214 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit.