"My sister is raising two little girls but always makes time to bake homemade bread," writes Sandy Vias, San Leandro, California. "They like this loaf best. It's studded with fruit and nuts, and terrific toasted and spread with butter.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash allspice
- 3-3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon bread flour
- 2 teaspoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 cup dried fruit (dried cherries, cranberries and/or raisins)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- In bread machine pan, place the first nine ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed). Just before final kneading (your machine may audibly signal this), add fruit and pecans. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Originally published as Harvest Fruit Bread in Quick Cooking November/December 2001, p58
Reviews for Harvest Fruit Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 31, 2008
"Hello! I'd like to know how to convert bread machine yeast bread recipes to the old fashioned way of making bread, hand kneading. Thank you for your reply."