Harvest Dessert Recipe
Candy corn and tinted frosting form cute on this fun dessert. "To save time, I layer the pumpkin filling, chocolate wafers and whipped topping the day before," pens Janine Freeman from Blaine, Washington.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 35 min. + chilling YIELD:15 servings
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 30 chocolate wafers
- 45 pieces candy corn
- 1/3 cup vanilla frosting
- 10 drops yellow food coloring
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved. Add the pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan; stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer (mixture will be thick). Remove from the heat. Cover surface with waxed paper; refrigerate without stirring until cooled. Fold in half of whipped topping.
- 3. Arrange half of the wafers in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Top with half of the pumpkin mixture; repeat. Spread with remaining whipped topping. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.
- 4. Score dessert into 15 pieces; arrange candy corn in groups of three. Combine frosting and food coloring; place in a small resealable plastic bag. Insert a #5 round pastry tip; pipe on each piece. Cut dessert along scored lines. Yield: 15 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC