Candy corn and tinted frosting form cute on this fun dessert. "To save time, I layer the pumpkin filling, chocolate wafers and whipped topping the day before," pens Janine Freeman from Blaine, Washington.
15 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 35 min. + chilling
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 30 chocolate wafers
- 45 pieces candy corn
- 1/3 cup vanilla frosting
- 10 drops yellow food coloring
- In a heavy saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over milk; let stand for 5
- minutes. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved. Add
- the pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook
- and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce
- heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan;
- stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes
- longer (mixture will be thick). Remove from the heat. Cover surface
- with waxed paper; refrigerate without stirring until cooled. Fold in
- half of whipped topping.