Harvest Corn Chowder
This rich, creamy chowder is so good you won't believe it starts with canned soup and frozen vegetables. It showcases tender chunks of halibut, but salmon or most any type of whitefish will do. I double the recipe for large gatherings, and guests almost lick the pot clean!—Mary Davis, Palmer, Alaska
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 4 cups whole kernel corn
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the
- cream-style corn, kernel corn, potatoes, soup and mushrooms. Stir in
- milk. Add green and red peppers. Season with pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or
- until vegetables are tender. Garnish with bacon. Yield: about 12
- servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 265 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 993 mg sodium,