Harvest Corn Chicken Chowder Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed red potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup 1% milk, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and red pepper in oil until onion is tender. Add ham and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, potatoes, corn, bouillon, thyme, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Add chicken; heat through. Stir in evaporated milk and 1/2 cup milk; bring to a boil. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 306 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 763 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat-free milk.