Seal autumn flavors into a condiment that’s delicious any time of year. The gem-colored chutney is sweet and slightly spicy.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 5 shallots, chopped
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil over medium heat. Stir in apples, cranberries, shallots, brown sugar, vinegar, cranberry juice, orange juice, peel and seasonings.
- Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until desired thickness, stirring occasionally. Stir in pecans. Cool. Spoon into jars. Cover and store in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks. Yield: 3-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Harvest Chutney in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2012, p57
Reviews for Harvest Chutney
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review