Harvest Chicken Soup Recipe
I like reading cookbooks and finding new twists to traditional recipe. This hearty soup is made with a colorful and tasty mix of vegetables and avocados. Spending time in the kitchen has kept me busy after retiring some years ago.—Bob & Georgia Crabb, Scio, Oregon
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours 40 min. YIELD:9-10 servings
- 3 medium onions
- 3 bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 4 cups water
- 3 celery ribs, halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 small zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1. Chop one onion; set aside. Quarter the other two; place in a Dutch oven with the chicken, water, celery, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the chicken and vegetables are tender. Remove the chicken; set aside. Discard celery and onion.
- 2. To broth, add the tomatoes, carrots, bouillon and chopped onion. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- 3. Debone and cube chicken; add to soup with zucchini and peas. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Spoon into bowls. Garnish with avocado. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 133 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 684 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC