Harvest Chicken Rice Soup Recipe
- 2 celery ribs with leaves
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 pound white potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled
- 3 quarts water
- 2 pounds broiler/fryer chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 large onions, halved
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- Pepper to taste
- 1. Cut vegetables into 2-in. pieces; place in a Dutch oven. Add the water, chicken, onions and bouillon. Bring to a boil; skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 2. Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Let broth cool for 1 hour; skim fat. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut chicken into chunks.
- 3. In a blender, puree the vegetables and broth in batches; strain. Return chicken and broth to Dutch oven. Stir in rice. Cook over medium heat until bubbly, stirring occasionally. Season with pepper. Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 108 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 197 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.