This chicken has become a Sunday-dinner standby around our house. Friends and family always comment on the fresh combination of asparagus, carrots, potatoes and chicken.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and paprika; set aside 2 tablespoons. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil over medium heat. Drain and set chicken aside. In the same skillet combine 3/4 cup broth, dill, salt if desired, basil and pepper ; bring to a boil. Add potatoes and carrots. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken; cook for 10 minutes. Add asparagus; cook 15-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170° and vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine reserved flour mixture and remaining broth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Harvest Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p39
Reviews for Harvest Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 13, 2010
"A family favorite in our house! First thing I make whenever I can get my hands on fresh asparagus!"