Harlequin Cake Recipe
This chocolate cake looks as impressive as it tastes.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:13 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 can (12 ounces) raspberry or strawberry cake and pastry filling
- 1 can (12 ounces) apricot filling
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 plain milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each)
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring the butter, water and cocoa to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Add the egg, buttermilk and vanilla; mix well. Beat in cocoa mixture.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Place cake on a serving platter. Set aside a fourth of the whipped cream. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining whipped cream.
- 4. Spoon the reserved whipped cream into a pastry bag with a star tip; pipe a diamond-pattern lattice design on cake top. Pipe a border around top edge of cake.
- 5. Spoon raspberry filling into every other diamond in lattice. Spoon apricot filling into remaining diamonds. Sprinkle with almonds.
- 6. Carefully cut each chocolate bar along the scored lines into 12 rectangles. Arrange chocolate pieces around side of cake with smooth sides out; press into whipped cream. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 13 servings.
1 piece equals 444 calories, 20 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC