Hard Sauce Recipe
I remember making this sauce for my mom when I was about 8 years old. I loved the aroma and spicy flavor. Today, many cooks spread cream-cheese frosting on spice cake instead, but I think you're really missing something if you bypass this warm, old-time sauce. —Shirley Joan Helfenbein, Lapeer, Michigan
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground allspice
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, nutmeg, allspice and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and extracts. Serve with spice cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 1-1/3 cups.
Reviews for Hard Sauce
Reviewed Dec. 11, 2009
"This is just wonderful served on top of very warm bread pudding. It melts and makes a wonderful sauce."
Reviewed Oct. 2, 2009
"I tried it. My grandkids tried it.We all loved it!!!"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC