I remember making this sauce for my mom when I was about 8 years old. I loved the aroma and spicy flavor. Today, many cooks spread cream-cheese frosting on spice cake instead, but I think you're really missing something if you bypass this warm, old-time sauce. —Shirley Joan Helfenbein, Lapeer, Michigan
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground allspice
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, nutmeg, allspice and
- water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and extracts.
- Serve with spice cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 1-1/3