Hard Sauce for Cake
My grandmother often dressed up leftover plain cake with this sauce. It also goes well with gingerbread. For fun, I love to page through my great-grandmother's old cookbooks.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup butter
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Gradually stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 15 minutes until smooth, thickened and clear. Remove from the
- heat; stir in vanilla and butter. Serve warm over cake. Yield: 1
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 155 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 206 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.