Hard Sauce Recipe
I remember making this sauce for my mom when I was about 8 years old. I loved the aroma and spicy flavor. Today, many cooks spread cream-cheese frosting on spice cake instead, but I think you're really missing something if you bypass this warm, old-time sauce. —Shirley Joan Helfenbein, Lapeer, Michigan
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground allspice
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, nutmeg, allspice and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and extracts. Serve with spice cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 1-1/3 cups.
Originally published as Hard Sauce in Taste of Home October/November 2007, p35
Reviews for Hard Sauce(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review