I remember making this sauce for my mom when I was about 8 years old. I loved the aroma and spicy flavor. Today, many cooks spread cream-cheese frosting on spice cake instead, but I think you're really missing something if you bypass this warm, old-time sauce. —Shirley Joan Helfenbein, Lapeer, Michigan
Recommended: 35 Essential Recipes You Should Know by 35
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground allspice
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, nutmeg, allspice and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and extracts. Serve with spice cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 1-1/3 cups.
Originally published as Hard Sauce in Taste of Home October/November 2007, p35
Reviews for Hard Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 11, 2009
"This is just wonderful served on top of very warm bread pudding. It melts and makes a wonderful sauce."
Reviewed Oct. 2, 2009
"I tried it. My grandkids tried it.We all loved it!!!"