Hard Maple Candy
During the war, the women at my grandmother's church would donate sugar rations throughout the year so they'd have enough to make candy as a fund-raiser each Christmas. I'm lucky enough to have inherited this tried-and-true recipe.
—Dorothea Bohrer, Silver Spring, Maryland
84 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons maple flavoring
- Grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with butter; set aside. In a
- large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook
- over medium-high heat until a candy thermometer reads 300°
- (hard-crack stage), stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat; stir in maple flavoring. Immediately pour into
- prepared pan; cool. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight
- container. Yield: 1-3/4 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/3 ounce) equals 46 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 5 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 0 protein.