Hard Candy Recipe
Every evening for a week in December, my husband and I mix up several batches of this soothing candy. When we finish, we have all our favorite flavors and a rainbow of colors. The pieces look lovely in a clear candy dish or jar.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + cooling Cook: 30 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 5 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons anise, lemon or orange extract
- Red, yellow or orange liquid food coloring, optional
- 1. Fill a 15x10x1-in. pan with confectioners' sugar to a depth of 1/2 in. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, make a continuous curved-line indentation in the sugar; set pan aside.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and continue cooking for 3 minutes to dissolve any sugar crystals.
- 3. Uncover and cook on medium-high heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in extract and food coloring if desired.
- 4. Carefully pour into a glass measuring cup. Working quickly, pour into prepared indentation in pan. Cover candy with confectioners' sugar. When candy is cool enough to handle, cut into pieces with a scissors. Store in a covered container. Yield: 3/4 pound.
1 serving (1 ounce) equals 383 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 26 mg sodium, 99 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 0 protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC