Happy Orange Turkey Recipe
Here’s the perfect centerpiece for your Thanksgiving feast. Champagne and oranges flavor this special bird. Our tester called it “one of my favorite turkey recipes ever!” —Tara Baier, Menomonie, Wisconsin
- 3 medium oranges
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 1-1/2 cups Champagne
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1. Finely grate peel from oranges. Cut the fruit into wedges. Combine softened butter and orange peel. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey; rub butter mixture under the skin.
- 2. Pat turkey dry. Combine the garlic powder, salt and pepper; rub over the outside and inside of turkey. Drizzle with melted butter. Place the oranges, onion, rosemary and thyme inside the cavity. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- 3. Place flour in oven bag and shake to coat. Place oven bag in a roasting pan. Place turkey, breast side up, in bag. Pour Champagne and orange juice over turkey. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close bag with tie provided.
- 4. Bake at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Remove turkey to a serving platter and keep warm. Let stand for 20 minutes before carving. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews for Happy Orange Turkey
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC