Happy Clown Cake
Children will find this colorful cake irresistible! It's a snap to put together when you use a cake mix to bake one round cake and a dozen cupcakes. To serve, first pass out the cupcakes, then cut up what's left. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
16-20 ServingsPrep: 1 hour Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup flaked coconut, divided
- Yellow, blue, green and red food coloring
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting, divided
- Assorted candies (red shoestring licorice, mini peanut butter cups and Skittles)
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Fill 12 foil or
- paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Pour remaining batter into
- a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Bake cake and cupcakes according
- to package directions. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing
- to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place 1/2 cup coconut in a plastic bag; sprinkle five to six drops of
- yellow food coloring into bag. Shake until color is distributed
- evenly. Repeat with 1/4 cup coconut and blue coloring, then with
- remaining coconut and green coloring.
- In a small bowl, tint 2 tablespoons frosting red; set aside. Frost
- round cake and 11 cupcakes with remaining frosting; place round cake
- on a large platter or covered board (about 22 in. x 15 in.). Form a
- face and hair using peanut butter cups for eyes and licorice for
- mouth, eyebrows and hair.
- Remove liner from remaining cupcake and cut off the top. Cut the top