Hand-Held Apple Pies Recipe
When I was in high school, my best friend's mother baked mini apple pies every Christmas. I was thrilled when she shared the recipe with me—it made me feel like I was finally an adult! —Katie Ferrier Gage, Houston, Texas
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Coarse sugar and cinnamon-sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to butter mixture until well blended. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Combine the sugar, cinnamon and allspice; set aside. Divide each portion of dough into 12 balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a 4-in. circle. Place a tablespoonful of chopped apples on one side. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon sugar mixture; dot with 1/4 teaspoon butter.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and water. Brush edges of pastry with egg wash; fold pastry over filling and seal edges well with a fork. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Brush remaining egg wash over tops. Cut slits in pastry. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and cinnamon-sugar.
- 4. Bake at 425° for 11-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC