Hamburger Zucchini Pie Recipe
You'll love the crispy golden crust and the hearty filling in this layered meat pie sent in by Margery Bryan. "It's a great way to use up homegrown zucchini," says the Royal City, Washington gardener. "Plus, the leftovers freeze superbly."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 1 hour YIELD:6-8 servings
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon each salt, dried oregano and dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Arrange half of the zucchini in pastry shell; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, onion, salt, oregano, parsley and garlic salt. Spoon half over the zucchini; repeat layers. Arrange tomatoes over top.
- 3. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Cut slits in top of pastry. Trim, flute and seal edges. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC