Hamburger Zucchini Pie Recipe
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon each salt, dried oregano and dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Arrange half of the zucchini in pastry shell; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, onion, salt, oregano, parsley and garlic salt. Spoon half over the zucchini; repeat layers. Arrange tomatoes over top.
- 3. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Cut slits in top of pastry. Trim, flute and seal edges. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Hamburger Zucchini Pie
"I did what other reviewers suggested, using shredded zucchini and topping the pie with mashed potatoes instead of a pie crust. It was a delicious, healthy meal!"
"This pie had a wonderful flavor. I grated the zucchini as well and mixed everything together before putting into crust. I also added 1/2 cup diced onion to beef along with pepper and omitted dried onion.I like the idea of topping with mashed potatoes and cheese and omitting crust altogether. It would make a great shepherd's pie. Thanks for all the pointers."
"Great flavor in this pie. I used garlic powder for my sodium restricted family and it was fine. Too lazy to layer, I mixed everything together and it came out great. Thanks for sharing this gem."
"This is a very good. My family love this. I froze it and took it on the houseboat..my boys loved it. I just graded the zucchini and mixed it in. In one I added hot chili peppers for my son who likes it hot. This is a Keeper!"
"You could try just one crust only on top if it's calories your trying to save. Or try using a biscuit like topping. Or even just topping with cheese only without any crust/topping"
"Hi..I hope i;m not barging in to something. I'm new to the computer.I saw your comment and thought you could use mashed potatoes to top the hamburger and zucchini mixture and then sprinkle with a little cheese...Shepards Pie."
"Whould I be able to use this recipe without the pie crust? What would I have to modify?"