- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon each salt, dried oregano and dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Arrange half of the zucchini in pastry shell; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, onion, salt, oregano, parsley and garlic salt. Spoon half over the zucchini; repeat layers. Arrange tomatoes over top.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Cut slits in top of pastry. Trim, flute and seal edges. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Hamburger Zucchini Pie
Sort By :
"I did what other reviewers suggested, using shredded zucchini and topping the pie with mashed potatoes instead of a pie crust. It was a delicious, healthy meal!"
"This pie had a wonderful flavor. I grated the zucchini as well and mixed everything together before putting into crust. I also added 1/2 cup diced onion to beef along with pepper and omitted dried onion.I like the idea of topping with mashed potatoes and cheese and omitting crust altogether. It would make a great shepherd's pie. Thanks for all the pointers."
"Great flavor in this pie. I used garlic powder for my sodium restricted family and it was fine. Too lazy to layer, I mixed everything together and it came out great. Thanks for sharing this gem."
"This is a very good. My family love this. I froze it and took it on the houseboat..my boys loved it. I just graded the zucchini and mixed it in. In one I added hot chili peppers for my son who likes it hot. This is a Keeper!"
"You could try just one crust only on top if it's calories your trying to save. Or try using a biscuit like topping. Or even just topping with cheese only without any crust/topping"