"I can't wait for chilly weather just so I can make this hearty soup!" notes Sandra Koch from Elyria, Ohio. "I came across the recipe a few years ago, and my family fell in love with it. "You'll love it, too...it's priced at a mere 68 cents a bowl.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, onions, carrots, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in broth, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In another saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until mixture turns golden brown (do not burn). Carefully stir into soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Hamburger Soup in Quick Cooking September/October 2002, p61
Reviews for Hamburger Veggie Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review