I just love cooking with ground beef, especially when the result is a rib-sticking and economical dish like this. I serve it over poppy seed noodles for extra flavor.—Jutta Doering, Kelowna, British Columbia
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- POPPY SEED NOODLES:
- 8 ounces wide noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 teaspoons poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef in onion and butter until the beef is no longer pink. Stir in the flour, salt, garlic, pepper and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in soup; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sour cream; heat through, but do not boil.
- Meanwhile, combine the noodles, poppy seed and butter; toss lightly. Serve stroganoff with noodles. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hamburger Stroganoff in Country Ground Beef 1993, p69
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Hamburger Stroganoff with Poppy Seed Noodles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review