Hamburger Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 8 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT (for each batch of stew):
- 1 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, water, rice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.
- Uncover; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until thickened. Freeze in 3-cup portions for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Transfer to a saucepan; add water. Cook until hot and bubbly. Yield: about 5 batches (15 cups total).
Reviews for Hamburger Stew(17)
Sort By :
Overall Very delicious recipe. I have a big family so I tripled the amount. I did not add potatoes. I did however add more spices such as garlic, basil leaves, thyme, etc. I like a lot of bold flavors. Also, I put a few jalapenos. I will continue to make this as it was an easy recipe.
So good! even my picky preschooler and my toddler LOVED this recipe! We took the leftovers camping and heated them up, just as good the second day. Definitely making this again, will try with venison next time.
We really liked this! I used leeks instead of onions and diced tomatoes instead of stewed. I also added 1/4 tsp Savory and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder.
VERY GOOD! I didn't have potatoes so I used more rice. I also added some minced garlic. Just perfect for a cool autumn day.
recipe needs some seasoning, very bland for my taste
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >