- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 envelope onion soup mix, divided
- Dash pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) whole mushrooms, drained
- Hot cooked mashed potatoes
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons soup mix and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- In a large skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Set aside and keep warm.
- Combine the flour, water, Worcestershire sauce and remaining soup mix until blended; stir into skillet. Add mushrooms. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until thickened. Serve with patties and mashed potatoes. Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
Sort By :
Double the gravy - Yum!
this was the first time I made this recipe and it will go into my recipe box! I also would use fresh mushrooms next time. I used the entire package of soup in the meat and used more than half of a package of soup for the gravy. This was awesome and will make this again.
Easy peasy dish to make in no time at all, with ingredients I always have on hand. It is a nice 'comfort food' dish as well, so I'm sure I'll make it with some regularity through winter!
Made it exactly per the recipe. It was easy to make, but only 'ok' for flavor.
Delicious! Love the flavor! Used about 1.25 lbs. of ground beef and cut the whole mushroom pieces in halves. Served over my homemade mashed potatoes and even my very picky son loved it! Will definitely make this a family favorite!