Hamburger Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 large carrots, grated
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 small head cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 quart water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown meat and onion; drain. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 hours. Remove bay leaves before serving. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 140 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 123mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Hamburger Soup
"This is one of the best soups ever! So versatile and tastes great. I've been making this recipe for several years. It makes a very large batch so use a very large pot. I use venison and substitute whatever flavor of stock I have on hand for part or all of the water; use any beans you like; I don't bother to rinse and drain them. It takes me about 45 minutes to get everything chopped and into the pot but it's well worth the time and effort. Just delicious."