Hamburger Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 large carrots, grated
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 small head cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 quart water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown meat and onion; drain. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 hours. Remove bay leaves before serving. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 140 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 123mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Hamburger Soup
"Great soup - I added a little cayenne otherwise no changes. I used a 7 qt pot and filled it to the brim and could only fit in 1/4 head of cabbage! This freezes really well for quick lunches too."
"This is one of the best soups ever! So versatile and tastes great. I've been making this recipe for several years. It makes a very large batch so use a very large pot. I use venison and substitute whatever flavor of stock I have on hand for part or all of the water; use any beans you like; I don't bother to rinse and drain them. It takes me about 45 minutes to get everything chopped and into the pot but it's well worth the time and effort. Just delicious."