Folks always comment on the great blend of spices and the hearty addition of cabbage in this soup.
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 large carrots, grated
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 small head cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 quart water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown meat and onion; drain. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 hours. Remove bay leaves before serving. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Hamburger Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p26
Reviews for Hamburger Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review