Working full-time and attending school part-time leaves me little time for fancy meals. My family enjoys hearty helpings of this casserole, alongside a salad, bread and dessert.—Dawn Farris, Pekin, Illinois
Featured In: 25 Foolproof Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 pound ground beef
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup diced seeded tomatoes
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a large saucepan, combine cheese and milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in the beef, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions and cayenne; remove from the heat.
- Drain macaroni and stir into beef mixture. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and stir mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Hamburger Hot Dish in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p46
Reviews for Hamburger Macaroni Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 15, 2015
"It tasted pretty good before I put it in the oven, but it seems to lose some of its flavor as it baked."