Start supper with Tammy Ellis’ savory, au jus Hamburger Hoagies. This busy Boardman, Oregon mom juggles a full-time job with community and church activities plus her kids’ sports schedules. She's learned to make the most of a few handy ingredients and convenience items that cut time in the kitchen. “My family fell in love with these sandwiches the very first time I made them,” she says.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup spreadable garden vegetable cream cheese
- 4 hoagie buns, split and toasted
- 1 jar (12 ounces) beef au jus gravy, warmed
- In a large bowl, combine beef and seasoned salt. Shape into four
- 7-in. x 2-1/2-in. oval-shaped patties.
- In a large skillet, cook patties over medium-high heat for 3-4
- minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and
- meat juices run clear.
- Spread cream cheese over cut side of buns. Place a hamburger patty on
- each bun bottom; replace bun tops. Serve with au jus gravy for
- dipping. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 511 calories, 26 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 1,418 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.