- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 slices process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread or Italian bread
- Additional process cheese (Velveeta) slices, optional
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, cheese, onion, bouillon and garlic powder. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until bouillon is dissolved and cheese is melted. Cut the bread in half widthwise and lengthwise. Carefully hollow out top and bottom of loaf, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spoon meat mixture into bottom halves of bread. Top with additional cheese if desired, green pepper and tomato. Replace bread tops. Wrap in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Slice and serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hamburger Hoagie in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p92
Reviews for Hamburger Hoagie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 6, 2010
"This is a favorite among the 'game watchers' my husband invites to our place during football season. I usually make two hoagies but I've made as many as six at a time!"