Hamburger Hash Browns
Our three young children keep me very busy. So I need dishes that are quick to cook and, most importantly, that the kids will eagerly eat. This recipe meets those criteria.—Lois Oligmueller, West Point, Nebraska
4-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided
- In a bowl, combine hash browns, oil and pepper. Press onto the bottom
- and 1 in up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. square baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a
- skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in gravy mix and water. Add vegetables and garlic powder. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2
- cup cheese and half of the onions. Spoon into the potato shell.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the
- remaining cheese and onions. Bake 5 minutes longer. Yield: 4-6
When making Hamburger Hash Browns, you can use 1 cup of prepared gravy (homemade or purchased) instead of the gravy mix and 1 cup water.