Hamburger Florentine Soup Recipe
I devised this recipe by adding herbs and spices to a dish in a recipe book that I received as a wedding present. It's a delicious way to serve spinach.—Mary Gillespie, Hollister, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 65 min. YIELD:14 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach, chopped
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients except spinach; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40 minutes.
- 2. Add spinach; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer. Stir to blend spinach into soup. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 10-12 serving (14 cups).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 120 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 634 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC