- 1 pound ground beef
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach, chopped
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients except spinach; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40 minutes.
- Add spinach; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer. Stir to blend spinach into soup. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 10-12 serving (14 cups).
Originally published as Hamburger Florentine Soup in Country Ground Beef 1993, p20
Reviews for Hamburger Florentine Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 23, 2014
"I loved this soup. Easy to make and quick. I used ditalini noodles instead of potatoes."