- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach, chopped
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients except spinach; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40 minutes.
- Add spinach; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer. Stir to blend spinach into soup. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 10-12 serving (14 cups).
Originally published as Hamburger Florentine Soup in Country Ground Beef 1993, p20
Reviews for Hamburger Florentine Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 23, 2014
I loved this soup. Easy to make and quick. I used ditalini noodles instead of potatoes.