I created this recipe one day after wondering why chicken was often stuffed with ham and cheese but not other meats. I tried it with hamburger and added seasoned bread crumbs for just the right touch.
-Lee Deneau, Lansing, Michigan
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 thin slice fully cooked ham, halved
- 2 slices process American cheese, halved
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- Lettuce leaves and red onion and tomato slices, optional
- Shape beef into four thin patties. Place a half slice of ham and two
- half slices of cheese on two patties. Top with remaining patties;
- pinch edges to seal. Coat both sides of burgers with bread crumbs.
- In a large skillet, cook burgers in oil for 4-5 minutes on each side
- or until meat is no longer pink. Serve on buns with lettuce, onion
- and tomato if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 489 calories, 24 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 878 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 33 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.