- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add beans, tomatoes, chili powder and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spoon over filling; gently spread to cover the top.
- Bake, uncovered, 14-18 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Hamburger Corn Bread Casserole
Sort By :
I love this recipe. I take a few shortcuts: chunky salsa instead of canned tomatoes; a favorite pepper spice mix (doubled) instead of just chili; and Marie Callendar's cornbread mix instead of homemade. My fiance likes it so much he immediately boxes up the leftovers to take with him to work the next day.
Delicious. I also added frozen spinach.
Very good and simple recipe. Easy to keep ingredients on hand for a last minute quick supper. Everybody liked it!
Delicious. I used fire roasted tomatoes and added thawed bell pepper and onions (a mix purchased frozen from store) into the Jiffy cornmeal mix. A Keeper!
The topping is the key. The filling needs some zing for the ones that like spicy. Two kinds of peppers, celery, Chile beans. garlic, ketchup, little brown sugar, bit of brown mustard, if there's a little to much liquid dust with corn starch to thicken. Double the topping, cook filling in a dutch oven, spread the doubled topping over the hot filling and bake as directed about 13-14 min. You have your self a southern Tex Mex dish, browned around the edges crisp topping,,,,I will make again
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cornbread Casserole >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >