Hamburger Corn Bread Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, tomatoes, chili powder and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spoon over filling; gently spread to cover the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 14-18 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Hamburger Corn Bread Casserole(12)
Sort By :
Very good and simple recipe. Easy to keep ingredients on hand for a last minute quick supper. Everybody liked it!
Delicious. I used fire roasted tomatoes and added thawed bell pepper and onions (a mix purchased frozen from store) into the Jiffy cornmeal mix. A Keeper!
The topping is the key. The filling needs some zing for the ones that like spicy. Two kinds of peppers, celery, Chile beans. garlic, ketchup, little brown sugar, bit of brown mustard, if there's a little to much liquid dust with corn starch to thicken. Double the topping, cook filling in a dutch oven, spread the doubled topping over the hot filling and bake as directed about 13-14 min. You have your self a southern Tex Mex dish, browned around the edges crisp topping,,,,I will make again
Quick and easy! My husband loved this casserole. It was last minute and I didn't have all the ingredients. I used Bush's Chili Beans instead of Ranch Style Beans and omitted the chili powder. I also used Jiffy Corn Muffin mix for the topping. Next time I will sprinkle on shredded cheese before adding the topping.
Really enjoyed this dish. The perfect amount for 2 people; with a salad we had two meals easily. I could not find ranch-stlye beans so I had to substitute with southern stlye pinto beans. Any help on where to buy them in the North!?
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cornbread Casserole >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >