Just like Darlene Markel's Caramel Apple Bites (see recipe finder), Pat Carter shares a sweet treat children can help create. "My daughters and I form an assembly line to put these 'sandwich' cookies together," she reveals from Clearwater, Florida. "We have lots of fun, and the cookies taste great."
20 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup vanilla frosting
- Red and green liquid or paste food coloring
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 80 vanilla wafers (about 12 ounces)
- 40 chocolate-coated mint cookies (about 12 ounces)
- Divide frosting into two bowls; add red food coloring to one bowl.
- Place coconut in a resealable plastic bag; add green food coloring
- and shake to coat.
- Frost the bottoms of 40 vanilla wafers with white frosting; set
- aside. Frost the bottoms of remaining wafers with red frosting.
- Sprinkle coconut over red frosting; top with a chocolate cookie.
- Place white-frosted wafers, frosting side down, on top of cookies.
- Squeeze wafers together, forming sandwich cookies, and invert.
- Yield: 40 cookies.